HEALTHY YOU. PREPARED YOU. Yas YOU!
your shoot date is set! now PLAN AND PREP IS THE NAME OF THE GAME. FROM THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD TO YOUR FEET, THINK THROUGH EACH ELEMENT OF THE TYPE OF IMAGES WE WILL BE CAPTURING. We are big fans of skin/hair care AND WARDROBE PLANNING. TO BE BLUNT, YOU SHOULD BE TOO! YOUR BODY IS THE ONLY PLACE YOU HAVE TO LIVE AND YOURS IS YOUR INSTRUMENT. consider FOLLOWING THE BELOW STEPS FOR SHOOT PLANNING AND PREPPING:
- CLEANSE. MORNING AND EVENING USE A GENTLE CLEANSER. ADD AN EXFOLIATOR TO THIS ROUTINE 2-3 TIMES /WEEK. OPT FOR A NATURAL EXFOLIATOR APPLIED IN CIRCULAR MOTION WITH FINGERS, EXFOLIATOR PADS, OR A CLEAN WASHCLOTH. DO NOT USE YOUR SHOWER LOOFA AS AN EXFOLIATOR- THEY HARBOR BACTERIA AND WILL ACTUALLY CLOG and enlarge PORES INSTEAD OF CLEAN.
- TONE. AFTER CLEANSING APPLY A GENTLE TONER. THESE CAN BE APPLIED WITH A COTTON BALL TO HELP WIPE AWAY EXCESS GRIME. IF YOU'RE LOOKING TO JUST NOURISH THE SKIN, TONERS CAN ALSO BE APPLIED BY HAND, OR WITH A SPRAY BOTTLE.
- MOISTURIZE. WE RECOMMEND USING A FACIAL OIL OR SERUM IN ADDITION TO A MOISTURIZER. THEY WILL HELP LOCK IN THE MOISTURE AND GIVE YOUR SKIN a nice NUTRIENT BOOST.
- lip care. Exfoliate and moisturize w/ balm as needed.
*AS A GENERAL RULE OF THUMB, YOU'LL KNOW IF THE PRODUCTS YOU ARE USING ARE TOO HARSH IF YOU EXPERIENCE STINGING/BURNING or any kind of pain (Including from harsh exfoliators). THESE PRODUCTS SHOULD NOT BE IN YOUR SKIN CARE ROUTINE AND ARE DOING HARM.
*A NOTE ON BREAKOUTS AND THIS ROUTINE: WE DON'T CARE IF YOU HAVE A MILLION PIMPLES OR NONE. BREAKOUTS HAPPEN. THEY ARE PART OF LIFE. IF THE SKIN IS NOT CLEAN/EXFOLIATED/MOISTURIZED IT WILL BE EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO WORK WITH BEFORE, DURING, AND AFTER (IN POST PROCESSING) THE SHOOT no matter how much acne you have.
- BROWS. MAKE SURE THERE ARE 2 OF THEM (UNLESS you love your monobrow or don't have any!). MAKE SURE YOUR BROWS ARE GROOMED FREE OF "STRAYS." STRAY HAIRS NOT CONNECTED TO THE NATURAL BROW that linger below/above the brow and near the temples HAVE GOT TO GO. IF YOU HAVE A TRUSTY EYEBROW GROOMER, MAKE AN APPOINTMENT FOR 1-3 DAYS BEFORE YOUR SHOOT. IF YOU MAINTAIN YOUR OWN BROWS, PLEASE MAKE SURE TO NOT OVER-PLUCK. THE BROWS HELP FRAME THE EYES. if you think you can get away with not grooming your brows because you have blonde brows, you are wrong. the light will catch those hairs and look cray-cray. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY BROWS TO BEGIN WITH, then....no worries about this topic!
- upper lip. some LADIES have upper lip fuzz. It's totally normal. unless we are GOING FOR androgynous, please consider plucking or waxing your upper lip. BLEACHING YOUR UPPER LIP WILL NOT MAKE THE HAIR DISAPPEAR. THE LIGHT WILL CATCH EVERYTHING.
- men. please arrive with a clean version of your everyday look. if you'd like to do a facial hair change, you will most likely have time for that during your shoot.
TOP OF HEAD HAIR
THE NUMBER OF TIMES WE'VE HAD PEOPLE ARRIVE WITH THEIR HAIR "NOT QUITE THE WAY THEY WANT" MAKES US WANT TO PULL OUR HAIR OUT.
- PLAN AHEAD. CHANCES ARE, YOU'VE BOOKED YOUR SHOOT WEEKS IN ADVANCE. IF YOU'VE RECENTLY MADE A MAJOR CHANGE IN HAIR COLOR/CUT, MAINTAIN IT. DO NOT - I REPEAT - DO NOT GET YOUR HAIR CUT OR COLORED THE DAY BEFORE OR THE DAY OF YOUR SHOOT. YOU NEED TIME TO MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS THE WAY YOU WANT IT FOR THE foreseeable FUTURE. A FRESH/HEALTHY CUT AND/OR COLOR LOOKS GREAT IN IMAGES, BUT PLEASE PLAN TO HAVE IT DONE 1-2 WEEKS BEFORE YOUR SHOOT INCASE ANYTHING GOES ASKEW AND THEN MAINTAIN FROM THERE.
- KEEP IT HEALTHY. TRY TO NOT FRY YOUR HAIR TO THE POINT OF NO RETURN. THOSE LITTLE FLY-AWAYS AND FRIED ENDS ARE VERY visible ON CAMERA. IF YOU MUST FRY YOUR HAIR TO OBLIVION, MAKE SURE TO USE A HEAT PROTECTOR AND ADD THE MOISTURE AND NUTRIENTS BACK WITH HAIR MASKS AND DEEP CONDITIONING.
- all of the above goes for wig prep, too.
- if you are bald, then, no worries about this topic!
"AHHHH! WHAT DO I WEAR?!"
- FIRST, DON'T FREAK OUT. SECOND, BREATHE. THE BEAUTIFUL THING ABOUT WARDROBE AND STYLE IS THAT IT'S PERSONAL. GO THROUGH YOUR CLOSET AND PICK WHAT YOU LOVE from casual to fancy. I bet YOU ALREADY HAVE TONS OF OPTIONS. if we've had our phone call, you have my number. text me pics if you're unsure if something will work.
- THERE ARE A FEW NO-NO'S. STAY AWAY FROM FINE STRIPES AND SMALL CRAZY PATTERNS. UNLESS WE ARE DOING AN EDITORIAL-STYLE SHOOT, THESE TYPES OF PATTERNS ARE DISTRACTING AND CREATE OPTICAL ILLUSIONS. PLEASE ALSO STAY AWAY FROM SUPER TRENDY TRENDS. 2017 WAS THE YEAR OF THE COLD SHOULDER AND WHILE THAT'S CUTE, THE TREND CAN BE DATED, WHICH MEANS YOUR IMAGE Can BE DATED. FOR THE PURPOSES OF LONGEVITY OF YOUR IMAGES, STICK TO TIMELESS CUTS (SCOOP, V, BUTTON DOWN, CREW, BOAT, peter-pan, ETC.)
- COLOR. BIG FAN OF ALL COLOR AND THE ABSENCE OF COLOR. BLACK AND WHITE, NEUTRALS, BRIGHTS, PASTELS, MUTED, MuRKY, OFF...LOVE THEM ALL.
- THINK ABOUT TYPES. I TRULY BELIEVE FINDING DIFFERENT DIMENSIONS OF YOU IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN PLAYING TO DIFFERENT TYPES...THAT SAID, IT IS important TO KNOW WHERE YOU FIT in the industry AND ALSO HOW YOU CAN BREAK THOSE boundaries. CHARACTER TYPES ALREADY WRITTEN FOR, WHAT DO THEY WEAR? CHARACTER TYPES you could write for yourself, WHAT WOULD THEY WEAR? WhaT WOULD YOU AS THESE CHARACTERS WEAR? incorporate the answers to these questions into your wardrobe options. THINK IT THROUGH.
- IF YOU FIND ALL OF THIS DAUNTING, I HAVE A PINTEREST BOARD FOR VISUALS. AND IF YOU STILL FIND THIS topic DAUNTING AFTER VIEWING THAT, REACH OUT TO LEE HURST (STYLIST). http://lee.style
THE WEEK BEFORE YOUR SHOOT
- FOLLOW ALL OF THE ABOVE
- TRY NOT TO DRINK/SMOKE. THESE VICES WILL CHANGE THE CLARITY OF THE WHITES OF YOUR EYES AND WILL DEHYDRATE YOU AND YOUR SKIN.
- STAY HYDRATED. WATER. WATER. AND THEN MORE WATER. COFFEE DOES NOT COUNT AS A HYDRATOR. NEITHER DO SUGAR-BASED OR CARBONATED BEVERAGES. WATER. WATER. WATER.
- GET YOUR WARDROBE TOGETHER
- sweat out toxins with some workouts and then, you guessed it, drink a bunch of water.
- remember that you're worth it.
THE NIGHT BEFORE YOUR SHOOT
- FOLLOW THE SKIN CARE ROUTINE
- CLEAN YOURSELF
- have some you time. breath and love yourself. trust that our shoot will rock (because it will. i would have it no other way.)
- GET A GOOD NIGHT'S SLEEP
- THINK HAPPY THOUGHTS. YOU'RE WORTH IT. <3